We are living in unprecedented times. Humanity grapples with the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic. Washing hands frequently with soap and sanitizer, maintaining physical distancing, wearing masks in public spaces – have all become part and parcel of our daily lives.
In this article, we the Food Caterers in Gurgaon answer some pressing questions that you are likely to have on the impacts of Covid-19 on the food we eat. Will I get the coronavirus if I eat outside? Is it safe to eat takeaways? And much more.
Will the coronavirus spread via food?
No. According to the WHO, there is no evidence of the COVID-19 virus spreading via food or food packaging. Covid-19 is a respiratory disease and affects the respiratory tract of individuals who contract the virus.
On the other hand, the rotavirus, hepatitis A and norovirus are gastrointestinal viruses that spread via contaminated foods. Currently, there is no evidence that Covid-19 is transmitted via foodborne exposure.
With that out of the way, there are specific food safety guidelines that are always good to follow. By following these food safety practices, you can avoid getting ill during these challenging times.
Food Safety Guidelines to Follow during the Covid-19 Pandemic
Before Food Preparation – Storing Foods
- Store shopping bags in a particular place in the house, isolated from other regular stuff.
- Sanitize food packages and containers with an alcohol-based sanitizer to remove germs and viruses.
- If you're purchasing canned foods, make sure to rinse the lid thoroughly before opening the can. This prevents dirt, germs, and other contaminants on the can from getting into the food.
- Do not keep perishable foods outside the home or in the garage for a long time. Make sure to store them at the right temperature – hot or cold – to prevent the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms.
During Food Preparation
- Ensure that you wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with warm soapy water before and after cooking.
- If you're handling poultry, raw meat, seafood, and eggs, make sure that you wash your hands before and after handling it.
- Wash vegetables and fruits under running water using a clean, produce brush. Make sure that you wash vegetables, fruits, and other fresh produce thoroughly before cutting. Washing with regular lukewarm water is sufficient. Please do not use any cleaning products like soap, diluted bleach, or vinegar to lead to an upset stomach.
- It's a good practice to maintain two different cutting boards in the kitchen. Use one board exclusively for raw meat, poultry, fish, and eggs, and the other for fresh produce like vegetables and fruits.
- With lockdown restrictions and limited operation times, most of us are purchasing groceries and other foodstuffs in bulk. Hence, make sure that you check the expiration dates before using any ingredient in your pantry.
- Ensure that you cook foods at a safe temperature. Undercooking foods can lead to digestive troubles and other foodborne illnesses.
At Captain Joe, the Food Caterers in Gurgaon, we understand the importance of proper kitchen safety. Our team of workers – chefs, sous chefs, and other kitchen staff – are trained to follow all the highest hygiene standards.
- We follow proper hand hygiene – washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and frequent use of alcohol-based sanitizers.
- We follow proper respiratory hygiene – covering mouth and nose with N95 masks and appropriately dispose of masks.
- Food Caterers in Gurgaon follow social distancing protocols – maintaining sufficient distance in the kitchen and the workplace.
- We follow all cleaning protocols – frequent disinfection of work surfaces and other touchpoints like door handles.
The times we live in are challenging. By following the proper safety and hygiene practices, we can keep our loved ones safe and healthy. With all of us working from home, it’s a great time to spend more time with your loved ones. Cooking is a great way to bond with your loved ones and come up with creative recipes. Make sure to follow the tips listed here and enjoy safe and healthy cooking.